APPLY FOR A LEARNER’S PERMIT
- Studying for the written test by obtaining a driver’s manual from your local Department of Motor Vehicles
- Make sure to pay all the necessary fees. This will include the fee for your road exam. Please check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles for the full list of fees.
- Pass the eye exam. If you wear contacts or lenses make sure your prescription is up to date before taking the exam.
- Passing the written exam. Once you pass the written exam you will be given a temporary paper permit. Your photo permit will arrive in the mail in approximately 2-3 weeks.
Practice, Practice, Practice
You are now allowed to practice driving!
- However, it must be with someone over the age of 21 with a valid driver’s license such as a parent, guardian, or driving instructor.
- Per New York State if you are under the age of 18 with your permit you must wait six months from the time your permit was issued before you can take the road exam.
- Make sure during your six month grace period that you accumulate and document 50 hours of supervised driving, with at least 15 of those hours being at night)
- Once you are close to the end of your 6 month grace period sign up for your 5-hour course. You will need to complete this course in order to take your road exam.
- Schedule your road exam; you must have completed the 5-hour course prior to scheduling. Please note that the 5-hour course certificate is only good for one year. You must also have the certificate on you when you go to take the exam.
- Practice driving as much and as often as possible
- Successfully pass your road exam
- If you are under the age of 18 you now have your junior license.
- If you are 18 years or older you now have a full Class D driver’s license with no restrictions.
- You are now permitted to drive unsupervised between the hours of 5 am and 9 pm
- You must go directly home, no detours unless otherwise stated due to construction
- You are now allowed 1 passenger under the age of 21, unless they are a family member; such as a brother or sister.
- Once you turn 18 you will be issued a full Class D license with no restrictions.